Re: LBA to File?

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LBA to File?
From: Bogdan Costescu <bogdan.costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:07:53 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>, "Buzbee, James" <James.Buzbee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 6 Mar 2003, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> Hm, I suppose that for the truly paranoid, with cheap IDE disks,

No, not only for them. The frequent access exists for all drives and
will destroy a high-end SCSI disk just as well, but maybe not as fast.

> there could be an option to rotate an internal log through the AGs each
> time you mount.

Ehh, how about those using XFS on file servers that have to have an uptime
of hundreds of days ? Changing its place online would be bliss...

However, placing the journal seems to raise the problem: where ? As it's
accessed often, it should be on the area of the disk where speed is
maximum (speed = read+write+seek). But if it's moved, can the new location
be controlled somehow so that it doesn't accidentally end up in an area
with low speed ? Of course, that does mean that free space has to exist at
the new location. That begs the question: could defragmentation or
something similar take care of creating free space at a specific location
on disk ?

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx