AW: xfsdumping of LVM-Snapshots whith quotas

To: "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AW: xfsdumping of LVM-Snapshots whith quotas
From: "Pedot, Wolfgang" <wpedot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 05:10:58 -0400
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 04:32:37AM -0400, Pedot, Wolfgang wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I´m using xfs release 1.2 on LVM with a 2.4.19 SMP-Kernel
> to manage filesystems
> > on a raid5 (hardware).
> > For backup I first create LVM snapshots of the filesystems
> and then use xfsdump
> > (amanda) on them.
> >
> > Since the snapshots are readonly xfsdump is unable to
> handle quota-filesystems
> > correctly by creating a
> > file containing quota-information. The backup itself is
> working but amanda
> > always reports these incidents.
> >
> > Is there any way to tell xfsdump to ignore quotas so I can
> run xfsdq before
> > creating snapshots on the real fs to create the
> > xfsdump_quota file and then run my backup?
>
> no i don't believe so.
>
> however as a sidenote i am wondering if it might be possible for
> xfsdump to do quota backups in a more sensible way.  would it be
> possible for it to backup a file which doesn't exist?  such that xfsdq
> output would be read into memory and then fed into a file in the
> archive?
>
> really the most clean way is probably extending the xfsdump fileformat
> to have specific space for quota information, but that would lead to
> various compatibility issues.
>
> ive just never cared for the method xfsdump uses to do quota backups,
> its more of a hack, one which has some security implications (as i
> recently pointed out, and which was mostly corrected).

So the only way to get rid of this "error" is to forget about snapshooting and
instead dump the real filesystem?
I dont like this, since I cant freeze it or at least remount as readonly during
backup because that would lead to
the very same problem....

I guess i will just have to live with that message and ignore it for now...

greetings
Wolfgang