Re: fsck.xfs on ro mounted disks

To: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: fsck.xfs on ro mounted disks
From: Michael Sinz <msinz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:15:20 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Ethan Benson wrote:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 03:12:26PM +0200, Valentijn Sessink wrote:
Ehm, as far as I understand, this will not help me repair a disk as
xfs_repair -n does not repair anything - or does it?

correct, you can only repair a fully unmounted filesystem with
xfs_repair, that means you cannot repair the root filesystem unless
you boot from an alternate root.

Yes, this has been annoying.  Enough so that I made this little
script that would provide me with another root to boot from.

see http://www.sinz.org/linux for details on this tool.

(It has a number of requirments that are based on my needed environment
but it has worked across a wide range of systems.  The main thing is
that the recovery kernel have devfs and procfs)

--
Michael Sinz -- Director, Systems Engineering -- Worldgate Communications
A master's secrets are only as good as