Redhat 9 - grub wont boot with XFS root fs after migration

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Redhat 9 - grub wont boot with XFS root fs after migration
From: "Gareth Blades" <list.xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:36:45 +0100
Cc: "Kai Leibrandt" <k_leibrandt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Just tried this.
Installed RH9 with following RAID1 partitions
/dev/md0
/dev/md1 (swap)
/dev/md2

Installed the OS onto md0 and installed the kernel and other files from the
RH9 XFS 1.2 boot CD that I have.
Rebooted into the new kernel fine.
Copied everything from md0 to md2 using the tar procedure mentioned in the
XFS migration Howto.
Modified Grub and rebooted into md2 as the root filesystem.

Reformatted md0 to xfs, recopied all the files, and re-setup grub onto
(hd0).

Now when I try to boot into md0 I get a kernel panic saying it is unable to
mount the ext3 filesystem.
Why it is ext3?

If I modify the grub boot parameters to specify the root filesystem type as
xfs then when it boots I get an error 'XFS: bad magic number' and it stops