Re: file locking problems in XFS?

To: Christian Guenther <christian.guenther@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: file locking problems in XFS?
From: "Russell G. Howe" <rhowe@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 05:47:52 +0100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 10:35:34AM +0200, Christian Guenther wrote:
> I'm mounting my home directory from this fileserever via nfs. When I
> try to log in I get an error stating that it could not establish locking

Are you specifying the "lock" option when mounting? I had a similar
problem here - apparently, NFS mounts default to "nolock" mode (for
speed/simplicity?).

An excerpt from my fstab:

192.168.1.2:/var/export/paobu /     nfs defaults,lock,rw 0 0
nfs.rsnet:/home               /home nfs defaults,lock,rw 0 0

This machine is my main desktop machine and I have GNOME running just
fine. I suspect that uses file locking a fair bit (gconf does, I know
that much). There is something in the gconf (and galeon) FAQ about
trouble with locks on NFS, but fortunately it's not a problem I've hit
upon.

--
Russell Howe     | Why be just another cog in the machine,
rhowe@xxxxxxxxxx | when you can be the spanner in the works?