xfs fails to recover a raid0 root filesystem

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs fails to recover a raid0 root filesystem
From: Pietro Abate <Pietro.Abate@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:20:10 +1000
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,
I've installed xfs on a netra (sparc) workstation. After a power
failoure xfs just hangs trying to recover the root fs. The fs is
actually sitting on the top of a raid0 configuration. I don't really
understand if the problem is related with xfs or with raid (but I think
it's xfs ...).

I tried to run the raid in degradeted mode passing raid=noautodetect
md=0,/dev/sda4 ... to silo, to try to isolate the problem, but it didn't
solve the problem.

my questions now:
- is there a way of forcing xfs to ignore the recovery stage and give me a
  shell that I can use to run xfs_repair ? (any silo parameter ?)

- is there any rescue system (cdrom) for sparc with raid and xfs support
  that I can use to recover the fs ?

- if I manage to boot it from the net, is there any rescue system I
  can use ?  (if not, my plan is to install a small system on the swap
  partition, build a kernel with xfs and raid, boot it, recover the fs,
  and boot back to the old installation: is it a good plan ?)

- is xfs supposed to work properly (I'm using 2.4.19 + xfs snapshot)
  with raid0 ? is it a problem having the root fs unsing xfs with a such
  configuration ?

please help... :-)

Civilization advances by extending the number
of important operations which we can perform
without thinking. (Alfred North Whitehead)