Re: xfs fails to recover a raid0 root filesystem

To: Pietro Abate <Pietro.Abate@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs fails to recover a raid0 root filesystem
From: Walt H <waltabbyh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 07:59:28 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Pietro Abate wrote:
> Hi all,
> This is already the second time it happens to me... :-((
> Do you have any clue why this can happen ? Are you aware of any way of
> avoiding this problem or have an automatic recovery procedure ? Is it a
> known bug ?
> I'm deliveing this machine to a client and it's pretty inconveniant
> for me to go back every time he has a power failoure...
>
> <off topic>
> Does exist a rescure disk for sparc with xfs and raid compiled in (or is
> there any documentation how to build one without a sparc machine ...
> cross compiling anyone ? ) ?
> </off topic>
>
> tnx for your help,
>
> On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 07:35:30PM -0600, Michael Loftis wrote:
>
>>I just had this happen on a large-ish (150+Gb) array.  Had nothing to do
>>with RAID.  You have to boot rescue disk and use xfs_repair.  You may have
>>to zero the logfile.  Also note that if oyu're using quotas it might go off
>>and re-figure everyones quota's at mount time which takes a long time.

You might want to try one of the Gentoo install disks. They have them
available for multiple architectures, including Sparc. They're bootable,
and even if they don't contain the necessary utilities, I would think
they'd be easy enough to install. At least on x86, they can mount XFS
filesystems on a RAID setup.

-Walt