Re: XFS as initrd file system

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS as initrd file system
From: "Jason H. Smith" <jhs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:08:38 +0700
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 24 June 2003 09:17 pm, Nathan Straz wrote:
> IMHO, a journaled file system is a little overkill for an initrd image.
> If you want an alternative to ext2, you might want to look at cramfs.
> I think using XFS for an initrd image is best kept to an academic
> exercise.

That's a good point.  The argument for XFS is that the kernel already has
XFS (it later mounts standard hard drives); so why bloat the kernel with
another filesystem?  (Okay, cramfs isn't that much bloat, but it still
violates the KISS principle.)

But in truth, I already have it working; just that an XFS-only kernel
strikes me as the most elegant (compare: compiling a whole new filesystem
for the 5 seconds spent in initrd).  Anyway this initrd madness will go
away in 2.6, so there's some good news.

Thanks everybody for the helpful input.

--
Jason Smith