Re: XFS as initrd file system

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS as initrd file system
From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:15:15 -0800
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi.  I'm trying to make an XFS-only system.  The kernel mounts XFS
> filesystems fine, but I'm having problems migrating from an ext2 initrd
> image to XFS.

well do you really need to use initrd?

> I've tried 4, 8, and 32 megabyte initrd sizes; and various block sizes
> (mkfs.xfs -b), but I get the same error from the kernel at the initrd
> phase:
>
>   XFS: device supports only 1024 byte sectors (not 512)
>   Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

hmm, sounds like a task for the new xfsprogs 2.5.0 mkfs.xfs which has
a -s switch to set the sector size to something other then 512 (i
think its -s anyway), this would probably also require a current cvs
kernel.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/