Re: Processes stuck in D state..

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Processes stuck in D state..
From: Gordon Henderson <gordon@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:26:18 +0100 (BST)
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Keith Owens wrote:

> All operations that require filesystem locks.  They are queued up
> behind some task that has grabbed a filesystem lock and is hung, IOW
> these tasks are innocent victims of the real problem.  99.9%
> probability that the real problem is a hung NFS event.

OK.

> If you have kdb installed and active, drop into kdb and
>   set LOGGING 1
>   bta RD
>   go
> The trace will show what the hung tasks are waiting on.

I can't easilly do this - it's a production box and they won't afford me
the dowtime. I'll try the latest patches against a 2.4.21 kernel (but I'm
not sure if I need the AC patches or not with .21, I'll need to check - I
needed an AC-1 patch for 2.4.20 to get the Promise IDE controllers to
work)  Otherwise, it's back to ext2 for this. It ran solidly with ext2 and
2.4.20-ac1 for about 6 months before I tried XFS, and the only thing thats
changed is the kernel.

Thanks,

Gordon