Re: Configuring large XFS filesystem

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Configuring large XFS filesystem
From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:27:16 -0700
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen wrote:

You won't run out of space; xfs dynamically allocates inodes up to a
set max percentage, default 25% of space in inodes.  However, you
can always use xfs_growfs to increase that if necessary.
25% of 300G / 256byte inodes still leaves you with plenty of room
for -lots- of files & dirs (314,572,800 if I calculated right).

OK, that was my biggest worry.

how are you assembling the 300G?  stripe values etc might be worth
examining.

The 300G array is an external hardware FC-to-Ultra160 array using a CMD controller (old and no longer repairable, but still works fine). I've thought about trying to deal with that, but the array is already so fast that I don't think I could really improve things very much.