XFS recovery issues

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: XFS recovery issues
From: Cory Visi <merlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 02:11:39 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
I recently patched up my own custom 2.4.22 kernel with the 2.4.22 XFS
split patches. I am also using the 2.4.23-pre4 patch.

To do a filesystem test, I basically just shut the machine off and
see if XFS recovers. Which I did. Instead of the system booting up, I get
this:

<normal kernel messages cut>
XFS mounting filesystem sd(8,1)
Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: sd(8,1) (dev: 8/1)
XFS: xlog_recover_process_data: bad clientid
XFS: log mount/recovery failed
XFS: log mount failed

That's maybe not so crazy, but check this out. If I reboot on a boot CD
(I've been using Gentoo Live CD which uses kernel 2.4.21) and try to mount
the same partition I get:

# mount -t xfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/test
XFS mounting filesystem sd(8,1)
Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: sd(8,1) (dev: 8/1)
Ending XFS recovery on filesystem: sd(8,1) (dev: 8/1)

This suggests that the kernel is the problem. Or am I assuming wrong?
I have tried this with all my partitions, /var, /tmp, and /home. They are
all XFS and will not mount using my own kernel, but they will mount using
the boot CD kernel.

After mounting the partitions on the boot CD to replay the log, I can then
boot up perfectly on my own kernel.

Thinking that the 2.4.22 split patches might be unstable (no offense), I
tried a combination of patches using the split patches kernel, acl, and
dmapi, with the XFS 1.3 release core files (making the modification in
xfs_lrw.c for 2.4.22 though).

Unfortunately I get the same exact problems.

Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Cory Visi