Segfault of xfs_repair during repair of a xfs filesystem

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Segfault of xfs_repair during repair of a xfs filesystem
From: Rainer Krienke <krienke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 08:49:59 +0100
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

a happy new year to everyone on this list ...

well for some of my xfs filesystems the year had a bad start. Due to a
powerfail on some systems that possibly rebootet and later again crashed due
to another powerfail some xfs filesystem were damaged. I could not mount
theses filesystems and so ran xfs_repair -L.

For one filesystem (~150GB) this worked. xfs_repair reported some errors in
the filesystem but finished its work. Next I tired to mount this filesystem
but mount complained that it could not find a valid superblock. So I ran
xfs_repair once again. It still found some errors (but less than before).
Next I rebootet the machine and the filesystem was mounted.

Another filesystem on a second machien (~40GB) that strange enough had been
mounted on reboot but was not accessible (ls /filesystem: input output error)
could not be repaired by xfs_repair: I unmounted it, started xfs_repair and
again I had to use -L since after unmounting I was no longer able to mount
it. xfs_repair reported a lot more errors compared to the first filesystem
from above and then in pass 4 I think when traversing the directory hierarchy
from / it segfaultet. A second and third run of xfs_repair produced each time
more errors but always ended in a segfault. In between I recovered the data
from tape, but I still have the old broken filesystem for further
investigation if needed.

Now I would like to know if this behaviour is "normal":

- Can a filesystem with tansaction logging like xfs become inconsitant because
of a power fail? There is no disk failure!

- Should xfs_repair find all errors in one run (like a regular fsck does) or
do I have to run it again and again until it reports no more errors?

- Is it a known issue that xfs_repair seg faults sometimes or is it perhaps a
problem of my version (see below) ?

- Can I do something else to avoid corrupted xfs filesystems in case of a
crash.

The machine is a suse linux 8.2 multiprocessor  system with SuSE patched
kernel 2.4.21-144 (from a suse 9.0 system). The xfs kernel driver reports
version 1.3.1 but I think the filesystems in question were created with an
earlier kernel I guess with driver version 1.3beta.  xfs_repair has version
2.5.6. All filesystems are on logical volumes that are handled by lvm2. The
underlying (lvm) physical volume is a software raid 1, to prevent data loss
due to a disk failure.

Thanks for any help
Rainer
Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, Raum A022
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312
Mail: krienke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html