Re: xfs_force_shutdown from line 1071 of xfs_trans.c

To: Stephan L Jansen <jansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs_force_shutdown from line 1071 of xfs_trans.c
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:48:00 +0100
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 16:18 14-1-2004 -0600, Stephan L Jansen wrote:

Hi,

I have a ~ 80GB parition (5 disk hardware RAID 0) on a two processor Dell 2650. I have seen two xfs_force_shutdowns on it in the last few days. The filesystem is accessed largely via NFS by between 50 or 100 processes on remote machines. I'm currently running 2.4.20-28_36.rh8.0.atsmp which is XFS 1.3.0. There are no other
logs in either syslog or dmesg.  Here's the error message:

If it's a Perc3/Di it's a adaptec (aacraid) controller. Basically it is crap piece of hardware that falls apart under load.

There is a workaround which you can found on the just launched http://linux.dell.com/

The scsi layer in the Perc3 gets stuck often which results in the controller firmware deadlocking. Upping a certain timeout in the driver to 60 seconds will prevent this from throwing a IO error to the kernel but the box will stall for a seemingly long time.

The best workaround for the moment is using either software raid or purchasing a Perc3/DC or better yet a Perc4/DC. Both are also faster and a lot faster respectively with regards to raid 5 throughput.

Cheers

--
Seth
I don't make sense, I don't pretend to either. Questions?