Re: problems with real-time option.

To: Ramesh K <kram@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: problems with real-time option.
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:20:09 +1100
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 03:55:10PM +0000, Ramesh K wrote:

> Hello,
>       I'm trying to use realtime subvolumes under Linux (SuSE 8.1, running
> kernel 2.4.19-64GB-SMP (I know it is very old!!)

You should be aware that realtime support is marked experimental
and may not function correctly.  That said, Eric made several
fixes in this area awhile ago and the last time I tested it, it
was looking much more stable.

>       The hardware: I'm using a 3ware RAID controller, and am using RAID level
> 0 (all eight 120GByte disks together are seen as one disk of 960 GByte
> device).
>       Now I want to use this entire 960 GBytes for my realtime data, and want
> to place metadata on ramdisk. When I try:
> dop93:> mkfs -t xfs -f  -d unwritten=0 -r rtdev=/dev/sda1 /dev/ram1,
>
>       I get warnings on block size of ramdisk. And when I try to mount the

What is the warning?

> device with: mount -t xfs -o rtdev /dev/sda1 - the call never returns.
>       Am I doing something very gross? Thanks.

That mount line is incorrect, you need to use something like:
        mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda1 /dev/ram1 /mnt

It seems odd to be using a ram disk in this way...

cheers.

--
Nathan