Re: 2.6.4 can't mount root xfs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.6.4 can't mount root xfs
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:44:23 +0000
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:39:14PM -0600, John Palkovic wrote:
> My 2.6.4 kernel source is from the cvs tree at oss.sgi.com. I pulled the
> update on March 15th, 2004 at around 11 PM central time.
> config used is at http://shoshana.dnsalias.org/config-2.6.4.txt
>
> When I try to boot the resulting kernel, it panics with an unable to mount
> root fs error:

> VFS: cannot open root device "sda5" or sda5
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on sda5

This is not a XFS issue, the kernel doesn't even get far enough to call
the XFS mount code.  I've looked at your .config and it seems you have
devfs enabled, but don't suply devfs-style names in root=.  Best disable
devfs or if you think you really want it (I'd strongly advise against
devfs) supply a devfs-style device name for root=