Re: 2.6.4 can't mount root xfs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.6.4 can't mount root xfs
From: Iustin Pop <iusty@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:53:41 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:44:23PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:39:14PM -0600, John Palkovic wrote:
> > My 2.6.4 kernel source is from the cvs tree at oss.sgi.com. I pulled the
> > update on March 15th, 2004 at around 11 PM central time.
> > config used is at http://shoshana.dnsalias.org/config-2.6.4.txt
> >
> > When I try to boot the resulting kernel, it panics with an unable to mount
> > root fs error:

> > VFS: cannot open root device "sda5" or sda5
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on sda5
>
> This is not a XFS issue, the kernel doesn't even get far enough to call
> the XFS mount code.  I've looked at your .config and it seems you have
> devfs enabled, but don't suply devfs-style names in root=.  Best disable
> devfs or if you think you really want it (I'd strongly advise against
> devfs) supply a devfs-style device name for root=

Not necesarily. I have (for a long time, on many systems) used devfs and
boot with grub with /dev/hda5 or such. AFAIK the kernel just parses the
root device specification into a (major, minor) pair and uses that (i.e.
the kernel doesn't look into /dev for mounting the root filesystem).

But I could also be very wrong :)

Iustin Pop