Re: 2.6.4 can't mount root xfs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.6.4 can't mount root xfs
From: John Palkovic <scientist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:15:23 -0600
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:44:01PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> This is not a XFS issue, the kernel doesn't even get far enough to call
> the XFS mount code. ...

Here is what I can report about this unresolved issue. CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is
not set. The system has two hard drives, one SCSI, the other IDE. I normally
boot from the SCSI drive and use the IDE for backup. Each drive is formatted
with /boot, swap, /, /usr, and /home partitions.

The box fails to boot 2.6.4 from the SCSI drive with an ext2 /boot and XFS
/, /usr, and /home, as I detailed previously. I am using the grub
bootloader, if it matters. Just for grins, I reformatted /, /boot, and /usr
on the IDE drive as ext3 partitions and built a new 2.6.4 kernel with ext3
support. This 2.6.4 kernel boots cleanly from the IDE drive. The exact same
kernel panics and fails to mount the XFS root from the SCSI drive. Yet
you're telling me this is not an XFS issue. Is grub hosing me here?

The only other datum I can add is that a back-trace from magic sysrq tells me
it's panicking in mount_block_root, but I suspect you already knew that.

regards,

-John

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."