Re: 2.6.4 can't mount root xfs

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.6.4 can't mount root xfs
From: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 19:53:51 -0800
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:42:19PM -0600, John Palkovic wrote:

> CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED=y
> CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y

That's bogus.  The default's for x86 will build MSDOS partition
support with CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION undefined.

> The strange thing is that this only seems to be necessary when root
> is formatted as an XFS partition. If I format it, e.g., as ext3,
> then I can boot with a 2.6.4 kernel that does not have these two
> options set. With 2.6.3, they don't need to be set.

Something else is going on.  I have plenty of machines which boot of
XFS filesystems and I never enable CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y.

I missed the original problem but I'm sure something else is going on
here.

  --cw