Re: losing disk space

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: losing disk space
From: Greg Koch <gkoch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:20:49 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 04:32:52PM +0100, roberto@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > while du-sch / reports another.  The value du give stays pretty
> >much
> > > steady while the value df gives shows a gradual loss of disk
> > >
> > Maybe the problem is related to some process(es) that do not close a
> > file descriptor (a previously opened file), and a user or another
> > precess has removed the file.
> > As far I know "df" shows the free space with the "opened" but
> > > deleted
> > file, du shows the free space).
>
> More exactly, do a:
>  lsof +L1
> and see if any /var/log/ files show up in this - it lists files
deleted
> but still in use - for those Unix won't free space until after they
are
> closed.
>
> Iustin Pop

Thanks, that's exactly what is happening.  I have apache using a
gracefull restart and a delay before closing the files but that isn't
enough it seems.  I will increase the delay for now and look into using
piped logging.  In the mean time, is there a way to close these files
once deleted?

--

My colleagues, every statement I make today is backed up by sources,
solid sources. These are not assertions. What we are giving you are