Re: synchronization of XFS

To: "IKARASHI, Seiichi" <ikarashi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: synchronization of XFS
From: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 04:41:52 -0800
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:58:50PM +0900, IKARASHI, Seiichi wrote:

> I will try xfs_freeze

Don't bother.  It won't help for what you want.  I suggested it
becuase it wasn't clear at the time what you were doing.

> Because anaconda/booty fails to install grub into a XFS partition.

Why does this mean XFS takes a long time to sync then?

> Firstly anaconda executes "grub-install --just-copy", and executes
> sync() three times.

grub is braindead then.  Calling sync() once should suffice.

> Then anaconda runs "grub --batch" to really install grub into MBR of
> the disk, but grub cannot find files which should have been already
> written in the partition by sync().

That sounds like something else.  sync() ensures dirty buffers are
on-disk.  Even if you don't sync() you can still read-back using the
buffer-cache/page-cache.

> When I put 1 minutes of sleep() next to sync(), grub finds those
> files and is installed successfully.

I'm not sure I follow, but I'n not convinced it's XFS failing to
sync() to disk unless it's a really old tree.

> I'm using a kernel based on RHEL3.0 U1 (2.4.21-9.EL.i686) applied
> XFS 1.3.1 patch from http://www.oss.sgi.com/.

Hmm.... I think that should be OK.  Have you tried CVS from
oss.sgi.com to see if that is any better?