Re: losing disk space

To: Greg Koch <gkoch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: losing disk space
From: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 04:46:25 -0800
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 01:41:00AM -0500, Greg Koch wrote:

> The last time the disk filled up, I restarted and used xfs-repair
> which recovered a bunch of apache logs among other stuff.  The disk
> has plenty of room now and on most days seems to recover disk space
> after the log rotation.  Then on some days you dont see any space
> recovery.

If you remount and allow log-replay to you get the free-space back?
Or is it necessary to run xfs_repair to see this?

> Gentoo kernel Linux 2.4.25_pre7-gss-r2

NEVER USE GENTOO.  Immature Hacks + Bugs == Gentoo.  Please get a real
kernel from oss.sgi.comand see if that helps.  Better still, RUN,
don't walk, and get Red Hat or Debian installer.

> WDC WD200BB-00CAA1 hard drive in udma5 mode WriteCache=enabled

FWIW WriteCache=enabled is probably not advisable (it means the disk
can reorder writes and there is a greater chance of corruption).