Re: Your post on the linux-xfs mailing list

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:51:22 -0900
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 01:55:25AM -0800, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 03:33:02PM +0000, Jeff Snyder wrote:
>
> > after my posts on the xfs mailing list, I had my xfs filesystems in
> > a usable state. It has however taken me a week of recompiling stuff
> > (gentoo) to recover from the filesystem damage :(
>
> gentoo...  sigh
the `took a week to recompile, and thus recover everything' is nothing
more then the fault of the user for choosing the greatest timewaster
distro of all, and for not making backups. [*]

> > Right now i'm back to running one disk, so I dont know if I'll have
> > the same problems when I next try to expand my raid onto the second
> > disk, but I'll let you know when I do. I'll probably sync the disks
> > manually before letting evms near it, as a safety measure next time.
>
> there is a correlation between filesystem corruption and other
> problems and gentoo...
>
> go figure..  a distro where it seems any old patch is thown into the
> kernel based upon how cool it is rather then the quality of the code,
> important other patches are ignored and where using the latest
> bleeding edge userspace (including gcc) seems to be common... who
> would ever think that might casue problems?

the anti-gentoo cabal, of course.

[*] normally not backing system binary files is not so terrible since
you can reinstall the system quite rapidly, only configuration and
user data need be backed up, gentoo of course changes that, replacing
any significant system binary can be extremely time consuming (far far
beyond the time to download a binary), therefore gentoo systems must
be fully backed up, which means you need a whole lot more backup tapes.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/