Re: file corruption

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: file corruption
From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:39:20 -0900
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 06:52:43PM -0600, Dmitry Nikiforov wrote:

> Well, it looks like a random garbage. Last time it happened to
> /var/log/messages - there was some random binary data at the end of it.
> At the same time, there were no error messages nor warnings when the
> system was being started and fsck was running, which I find very odd...
I have seen this a few times as well, except the binary crap is
usually PREpended rather then appended to the file, also the end of
the file is usually cut off, as if the start and end markers were
equally offset backwards.  (the start of the file moved back 5 or 10
bytes, and the end of the file moved back 5 or 10 bytes, thus causing
truncation and random crud being prepended).

in my case however this has always occured after doing a filesystem to
filesystem copy via cpio, and then rebooting (cleanly).

i cannot quite reproduce it consistently though, except that it ONLY
occurs in /var/log, and is usually confined to the archived gzipped
logs (but many of the active log files get this as well).

for unclean reboots i have seen this on some open log files too, but
again not consistently.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/