Announce: xfs 1.3.3 beta 1

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Announce: xfs 1.3.3 beta 1
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Apr 2004 12:08:44 -0500
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Watch out.... just when you least expect it, someone will go off and
release a new version of XFS!

This one is a little different... for a few reasons.  Now that XFS is in
both 2.4 and 2.6, the notion of a "point release" of XFS loses some
meaning.  On the other hand, people are often asking for XFS code that
has had some soak time, i.e. a release branch.

Inside SGI we obviously release products that use XFS on Linux, and the
releases are qa'd and managed as you might expect.  So, even though XFS
is now in the kernel.org trees, we felt that we may as well put out the
XFS codebase that is shipping with our products as a more formal
release.

This is the result of that plan.

ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/testing/release-1.3.3-pre1

The XFS code in the above dirs reflects the state of the tree from
roughly January, with bugfixes merged in along the way.  It is the same
XFS codebase as is being finalized for commercial SGI linux products.
We were a bit late in getting this to oss, so those SGI products are in
their final phase of QA, so really only showstopper bugs can be
addressed at this point.  Still, we hope you find this release to be
useful.

Released are RH9- and RHEL- based kernels for x86 architectures, as well
as a tarball that contains fs/xfs/* which should be able to overlay any
kernel.org kernel >= 2.4.21 (although the RPMs have had the most
testing).  Also, userspace rpms & tarballs.

Please see the README in the above dir for more information, and fire
away with questions on the list.

Thanks,

-Eric

--