Re: XFS recovery issues

To: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS recovery issues
From: Ash <my_qa2004@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 04:10:39 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
> If you can't even repair, looks like the device has
> got
> into a funny state (repair talks directly to the
> device).
> I'd reboot to try clear that up, then run repair
> with -L
> again see if that resolves it.

Yes it did. After a clean reboot, xfs_check and
xfs_repair -L  worked fine. I was able to repair and
mount my filesystem and broadly my data seemed to look
ok.

> > Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference
> at virtual address 000002f2
> >  printing eip:
> > c026447f
> > *pde = 00000000
> > Oops: 0000 [#1]
> > Modules linked in: usbcore
> > CPU:    0
> > EIP:    0060:[<c026447f>]    Not tainted
> > EFLAGS: 00010282   (2.6.7-mirahp1compiled30jul)
> > EIP is at xfs_trans_brelse+0x1f/0x100
>
> There's a couple of known use-after-free bugs
> related to forced
> filesystem shutdown, I suspect thats what you're
> hitting here
> where it oops'd.

I didn't quite get this. Are you suggesting that this
is a known issue with the 2.6 kernel or with XFS ?
Are there any known bugs already logged against
similar issues ?

Thanks for all your help.
Ash