Re: Fedora2 XFS crash when drive full?

To: "mail.stads.net" <jwillem@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fedora2 XFS crash when drive full?
From: Mike Burger <mburger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:12:59 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, mail.stads.net wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I have a system with 4TB disk. One LVM "partion", this is formatted with XFS
> This is our first system where we cross the 2TB limit of an external
> raidsystem
> normaly we would have the raidsystem export the disks in 2TB luns.
>
> When we fill the disk completely full while copying files (normal cp done as
> root) my system crashes
> The stack dump informs of a lot of weird numbers and irq's but also always
> mentions xfs
> The disk is in not a system disk
>
> Okay, not very nice, running as root.
> But now as a normal user.
> I can't completely fill the disk, but get of course into 100% full, and still
> crash the system!
>
> XFS is tested on these situations?
> Is this a weird local problem on my system or do have to help the developers
> by giving detailed debug info.
> Thanks

Is the filesystem in question the root filesystem?

All it takes to crash a system, quite often, is to fill up /var, sometimes
/tmp...and if either, or both, are actually part of the root filesystem,
rather than separate filesystems, it's a recipe for disaster.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit