Re: Process stuck in R state at extent = 2049

To: Sakai Yasutoshi <sakai-yasutoshi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Process stuck in R state at extent = 2049
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:13:19 +1100
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 11:24:34AM +0900, Sakai Yasutoshi wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We are running linux 2.4.26 on IBM PPC405GP.
>
> Sometimes our process stuck in 'R' state when number of extent reaches
> 2049.
> And disk cache is freed at same time, so we have 40Mbyte of free memory,
> but we get kernel message "kernel: __alloc_pages: 4-order allocation
> failed (gfp=0xf0/0)".
>
> Process reverts to normal state after 5 seconds to 20 minutes once in a
> while.
>
> is this XFS problem?

Sort of; XFS has a tendency of asking for contiguous pages,
and the VM has a tendency of not being able to satisfy such
requests -- you might have more luck with a CVS 2.4 kernel,
in particular the split-patches/cache_defs patch there adds
a mechanism for 2.4 kernels to be able to do memory shaking
which the XFS code can plug into.  2.6 provides a mechanism
like that, without need for patching (fwiw).

cheers.

--
Nathan