Re: Advice sought on how to lock multiple pages in ->prepare_write and -

To: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Advice sought on how to lock multiple pages in ->prepare_write and ->writepage
From: Bryan Henderson <hbryan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:53:41 -0800
Cc: Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@xxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Just putting up my hand to say "yeah, us too" - we could also make
>use of that functionality, so we can grok existing XFS filesystems
>that have blocksizes larger than the page size.

IBM Storage Tank has block size > page size and has the same problem. This
is one of several ways that Storage Tank isn't generic enough to use
generic_file_write() and generic_file_read(), so it doesn't.  That's not a
terrible way to go, by the way.  At some point, making the generic
interface complex enough to handle every possible filesystem becomes worse
than every filesystem driver having its own code.

--
Bryan Henderson                          IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA                              Filesystems