Re: XFS module for RHEL4

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS module for RHEL4
From: Robin Humble <rjh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 02:18:02 -0400
Cc: Wayne Steenburg <w.steenburg@xxxxxxxxxx>, sonny@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:53:47PM -0400, Sonny Rao wrote:
>On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 05:57:13PM -0400, Wayne Steenburg wrote:
>> How would one go about compiling the XFS modules for the stock RHEL4
>> kernel?  Redhat decided not to include it for whatever reason.

this is almost a FAQ.

>You need to get the kernel source RPM and use the rpmbuild command to
>setup the kernel tree appropriately.. I believe the command is
>"rpmbuild -bp" for "prep" which means untar and apply patches in

if you want 8k stacks as well (highly recommended for servers) then
unfortunately it's not quite that simple. you need to stop some of the
RedHat patches being applied, as (for some unknown and possibly insane
reason) RedHat removed the 8k stack option entirely...

OTOH, I run fc3 at home with the default kernel (4k stacks) and XFS and
it's very stable. So for simple workloads and setups 4k stacks are
usually fine.

Anyway, this post has a (possibly slightly outdated) recipe for
compiling a RHEL4 kernel with 8k stacks and XFS:
  http://oss.sgi.com/archives/linux-xfs/2005-03/msg00189.html

cheers,
robin