Re: TAKE 937235 - mkfs vs MD0/1

To: "Martin K. Petersen" <mkp@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: TAKE 937235 - mkfs vs MD0/1
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:14:40 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:15:31PM -0400, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
> [...]

Hey Martin,

> Nathan> Do not do stripe alignment in mkfs for raid0/1 MD devices.
>
> RAID1 I can understand.

In hindsight and after reading the docs, I'm no longer convinced
(of my last change, I mean).  Both RAID0 and 1 use chunksizes we
should be aligning to...

>  But why RAID0?

I was led to think this was a linear array, rather than a stripe.
What I really wanted to catch was the linear case, theres no point
aligning that to anything.  Looks like there's several other RAID
types we need to consider nowadays too from looking through a 2.6
include/linux/raid/md_k.h and drivers/md/Kconfig.

thanks!

--
Nathan