Re: grub disaster with FC4 & XFS

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: grub disaster with FC4 & XFS
From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:25:39 -0800
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 01:32:21PM -0700, Net Llama! wrote:

> I did finally manage to fix this mess by booting with knoppix, purging
> everything in /boot/grub, repopulating with the templates that ship with
> grub, and running 'setup (hd0)' again.  I have no clue why all of that
> was neccesary.

thats one thing I really dislike about grub, there is no reason it
should be this much of a PITA to install a bootloader.  lilo got this
right, you setup a lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo, done, simple.  I
managed to make the PowerPC bootloader yaboot just as simple on the
common machines, and there is a whole lot more nonsense involved on ppc
then there is on x86.

Why can't grub just use a normal config file (in /etc where it
belongs) and just install with a single invocation of a
*noninteractive* command?

there must be a reason, why else would so many installer writers put
up with all this hell for so long, just because grub is so revered for
being better then lilo...  I suppose its a akin to debian, and its
oh-so-derided installer `who cares, you only have to install it once'

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/