Re: how to flush an XFS filesystem

Subject: Re: how to flush an XFS filesystem
From: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:16:13 +1000
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 10:43:45AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> > (I assume by "immediately reboot" above, you are not doing a clean
> > system shutdown for some reason?  why not, out of curiousity?)
>
> Software suspend.

Er, oh.

> > "mount -oremount,ro ..." is guaranteed to do that, and is
> > a filesystem independent way of doing things, so seems like
> > a better solution. xfs_freeze should also do so, so I'm a bit
> > surprised by your assertion there ... what was your test case
> > where something was not flushed?
>
> Here's the rundown:
>
>   Grub menu file is changed
>   kernel freezer is activated
>   filesystems are left untouched
>   system is shut down

There's no xfs_freeze(8) in that test case...?  I'm confused.

>   grub starts and /boot has not been flushed.

Hmm, AFAICT you didn't really freeze the filesystem.  The software
suspend "freezer" is putting the system into a state such that it
stops writing, such that kernel daemons go to "sleep" (and don't
wakeup on their usual timer-driven way), etc.  The assumption
there is the system will be woken up from this state at some point
not switched off and cold booted.

At least, thats my understanding from the guys who sent us the
XFS patches to implement that stuff..

cheers.

--
Nathan