XFS - forcing quotacheck.

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS - forcing quotacheck.
From: Claus Jeppesen <jeppesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 11:34:38 +0200
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Gentle people,

I've experienced that XFS can loose synchronization between content in the
filesystem and quota infomation. I would very much like to know what one should
do in order to force a 'quotachek' ?

Is there a 'bit' one can switch on, by xfs_db e.g., which would force a
quotacheck the next time the filesystem is mounted with quota turned on ? -
since XFS itself is not always aware of the slippage of quota-information,
see my P.S.

Thanx,

Claus.

P.S. I've experienced two situations where quotainformation can be
     de-synchronized with respect to the filesystem content:

    1) Overflowing the device with the XFS filesystem, say dd'ing a lot of
       large files until dd reports no more space left. The XFS log is
       internal.

    2) Sequences of mounting and un-mounting with and with-out '-o usrquota' -
       the idea being that files would be deleted or created when no quota
       support was requested. And despite the claim by the xfs_repair man-page,
       a quotachek would NOT be performed every time a '-o usrquota' was
       specified with the mount command [AFTER a situation where the filesystem
       had just been mounted without '-o usrquota'].

--
Claus Jeppesen
Memphys Center, SDU