Re: xfs: Makefile-linux-2.6 => Makefile?

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs: Makefile-linux-2.6 => Makefile?
From: Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:18:11 +0100
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:05:40PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > +#
> > +# The xfs people like to share Makefile with 2.6 and 2.4.
> > +# Utilise file named Kbuild file which has precedence over Makefile.
> > +#
> > +
> > +include $(srctree)/$(obj)/Makefile-linux-2.6
>
> What about just putting the content of the current Makefile-linux-2.6
> into the Kbuild file directly?
People do not expect this - since the Kbuild filename is not used expect in
the top-level directory.
So as a principle of minimum suprise I left the old Makefile as-is,
and introduced the new Kbuild file.
If xfs people likes it different then they can change it anytime.

If I one day start my little "kbuild file parser to a single makefile" project
it may be the day where we do the transition.

        Sam