Re: xfs: Makefile-linux-2.6 => Makefile?

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs: Makefile-linux-2.6 => Makefile?
From: Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:45:44 +0100
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: linux-xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 03:23:39PM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> codebases.
>
> But it seems useful for projects outside the kernel which would like to
> know which kernel they are building against, as far as the build system
> goes.  I've seen a few drivers out there that try to keep building for both
> 2.4 & 2.6.
>
> I guess for 2.4 & 2.6, the same can be accomplished by using Makefile and
> Kbuild for 2.4 and 2.6....

Good point. External modules slipped my mind when I did this change.
We have today:
VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 6
SUBLEVEL = 15
EXTRAVERSION =

EXTRAVERSION will soon become -rc1
No sane driver will check for more than VERISON, PATCHLEVEL, SUBLEVEL.
xfs for once only used VERSION, PATCHLEVEL.

googling a little gave lot's of very ugly examples how it can be done
using grep, perl etc. So there is a legitim need for the variable
anyway.
So I will re-export VERISON, PATCHLEVEL, SUBLEVEL.

        Sam