RE: mkfs and mount tips?

To: "'Olaf Fr?czyk'" <olaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: mkfs and mount tips?
From: "Leon Kolchinsky" <leonk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:38:18 +0200
Cc: "'Justin Piszcz'" <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
> (...)
> > > When I was trying out different optimizations (and what I currently
> use on
> > > a couple volumes is):
> > >
> > > logbufs=8,logbsize=262144,biosize=16,noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier
> > >

> > I think that "nobarrier" option is bad, cause power failure would
> corrupt
> > your FS in this case.
> It depends on hardware. If you use SCSI with write cache turned off I
> see no reason to loss data. You might use RAID with write cache (battery
> powered) safely too.
> I'm not sure but even (S)ATA with write cache disabled should be fine.

Thanks for the tips.

1) Is "–d unwritten=0" option is pretty safe?

2) What's the recommended value of "-d agcount=" for?:

10GB disk for web/mail/streaming server accordingly
50GB disk for web/mail/streaming server accordingly
300GB disk for web/mail/streaming server accordingly

Or how can I calculate these recommended values?

> Regards,
>
> Olaf
> --
> Olaf Fr?czyk <olaf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>