Re: [linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc4 XFS fails after hibernate/resume

To: David Robinson <zxvdr.au@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc4 XFS fails after hibernate/resume
From: David Greaves <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:49:34 +0100
Cc: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-pm <linux-pm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LinuxRaid <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
David Greaves wrote:
David Robinson wrote:
David Greaves wrote:
This isn't a regression.

I was seeing these problems on 2.6.21 (but 22 was in -rc so I waited to try it).
I tried 2.6.22-rc4 (with Tejun's patches) to see if it had improved - no.

Note this is a different (desktop) machine to that involved my recent bugs.

The machine will work for days (continually powered up) without a problem and then exhibits a filesystem failure within minutes of a resume.

<snip>

OK, that gave me an idea.

Freeze the filesystem
md5sum the lvm
hibernate
resume
md5sum the lvm
<snip>
So the lvm and below looks OK...

I'll see how it behaves now the filesystem has been frozen/thawed over the hibernate...

And it appears to behave well. (A few hours compile/clean cycling kernel builds on that filesystem were OK).

Historically I've done: sync echo platform > /sys/power/disk echo disk > /sys/power/state # resume

and had filesystem corruption (only on this machine, my other hibernating xfs machines don't have this problem)

So doing:
xfs_freeze -f /scratch
sync
echo platform > /sys/power/disk
echo disk > /sys/power/state
# resume
xfs_freeze -u /scratch

Works (for now - more usage testing tonight)

David