Re: [linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc4 XFS fails after hibernate/resume

To: David Robinson <zxvdr.au@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] 2.6.22-rc4 XFS fails after hibernate/resume
From: David Greaves <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:49:34 +0100
Cc: LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-pm <linux-pm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LinuxRaid <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
David Greaves wrote:
David Robinson wrote:
David Greaves wrote:
This isn't a regression.

I was seeing these problems on 2.6.21 (but 22 was in -rc so I waited to try it).
I tried 2.6.22-rc4 (with Tejun's patches) to see if it had improved - no.

Note this is a different (desktop) machine to that involved my recent bugs.

The machine will work for days (continually powered up) without a problem and then exhibits a filesystem failure within minutes of a resume.

OK, that gave me an idea.

Freeze the filesystem
md5sum the lvm
md5sum the lvm
So the lvm and below looks OK...

I'll see how it behaves now the filesystem has been frozen/thawed over the hibernate...

And it appears to behave well. (A few hours compile/clean cycling kernel builds on that filesystem were OK).

Historically I've done: sync echo platform > /sys/power/disk echo disk > /sys/power/state # resume

and had filesystem corruption (only on this machine, my other hibernating xfs machines don't have this problem)

So doing:
xfs_freeze -f /scratch
echo platform > /sys/power/disk
echo disk > /sys/power/state
# resume
xfs_freeze -u /scratch

Works (for now - more usage testing tonight)