Re: 2.6.22-rc3 hibernate(?) fails totally - regression

To: David Greaves <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.6.22-rc3 hibernate(?) fails totally - regression
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 15:46:47 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@xxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, "'linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-pm <linux-pm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, David Greaves wrote:

> Then 2.6.22-rc3 again but CONFIG_DISABLE_CONSOLE_SUSPEND=y
> It suspended again.
> Froze on restore.
> Screen photo here:
> http://www.dgreaves.com/pub/2.6.21-rc3-resume-failure.jpg

Ok, it wasn't a hidden oops. The DISABLE_CONSOLE_SUSPEND=y thing sometimes
shows oopses that are otherwise hidden, but at other times it just causes
more problems (hard hangs when trying to display something on a device
that is suspended, or behind a bridge that got suspended).

In your case, the screen output just shows normal resume output, and it
apparently just hung for some unknown reason. It *may* be worth trying to
do a SysRQ + 't' thing to see what tasks are running (or rather, not
running), but since you won't be able to capture it, it's probably not
going to be useful.

> Then 2.6.22-rc3 again but CONFIG_DISABLE_CONSOLE_SUSPEND=y
> This time, before suspending I unmounted my xfs/lvm/raid6 filesystem.
> Just a umount, I left the devices/array up.
> It suspended again.
> This time it resumed without fault.

It would be interesting to see what triggered it, since it apparently
worked before. So yes, a bisection would be great.

                        Linus