Re: ways to restore data from crashed disk

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ways to restore data from crashed disk
From: Jaap Struyk <japie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 09:50:49 +0200
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen schreef:

> it looks like the original filesystem was bigger than your image:
>
> 4096*36710528
> 150366322688 <-- 140 MB
>
> so it looks like your image file is not correct... I'm not familiar with
> the tool you're using, is it somehow compressing a sparse file or
> something like that?

You are completely right!

I used dd_rhelp instead of dd_rescue since everytime a bad block is hit
my disk isn't acceseble anymore and I have to reboot.
So I tryed another aproach and used a knoppix cd to boot and used
dd_rescue right away and with knoppix the disk keeps readable. (so it
seems the kernel knoppix is using isn't killed by bad blocks, mine is)
In concreto: I dumped my disk on another, used xfs_repair without
problems and got almost all my data back (except for the last 2G that
was written)
Thanks for pointing me the right track, or else I was still wrestling to
recover an incomplete image file!
--
Groetjes Japie