Re: xfs_fsr - problem with open files possible?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs_fsr - problem with open files possible?
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:13:52 +0200
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Am Freitag 15 Juni 2007 schrieb Eric Sandeen:

> > I can try to reproduce the problem. Would be handy tough to have an
> > xfs_fsr that can be limited only to operate on a certain directory
> > and its files and sub directories. This way I could create a new
> > mailfolder, copy some mails in there, have it opened so that KMail
> > accesses the index file and let xfs_fsr only run on this mailfolder.
>
> From the man page:
>
>  Files marked as no-defrag will be skipped. The xfs_io(8) chattr
> command with the f attribute can be used to set or clear this flag.
> Files  and directories created in a directory with the no-defrag flag
> will inherit the attribute.
>
> so you can flag your mail directory or index files as no-defrag if you
> like.  (I know this is the converse of what you wanted... but maybe
> helpful)

Hello Eric!

Well also from the man page as I just found out after sending my mail:

"xfs_fsr  can  be  called with one or more arguments naming filesystems
(block device name), and files to reorganize.  In this mode xfs_fsr does
not read or write /var/tmp/.fsrlast_xfs nor does it run for a fixed time
interval.  It makes  one pass through each specified regular file and all
regular files in each specified filesystem.  A command line name
referring to a symbolic link (except to a file system device), FIFO, or
UNIX domain socket generates a warning  message,  but is otherwise
ignored.  While traversing the filesystem these types of files are
silently skipped."

So maybe something along the lines of:

xfs_fsr ~/Mail/.trash.index

while it is open by KMail should be enough. I think I will give this a try
soon.

Regards,