Re: XFS DMAPI support for RHEL4

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS DMAPI support for RHEL4
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:33:22 -0500
Cc: Manoj Kumar Pradhan <manojkp80@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen wrote:
Manoj Kumar Pradhan wrote:
Hi,

I am running RHEL with kernel 2.6.9-42ELsmp x86_64. I got the xfs module
from http://sandeen.net/rhel4_xfs/ and did a rpmbuild as instructed there, I
got the xfs.ko and the module-xfs rpm for the running kernel too but modinfo
shows me that the xfs module hence created is not dmapi enabled.

Right, the dmapi module isn't included in that.  As far as I can recall,
the necessary bits to support DMAPI are not present in the RHEL4 kernel,
so this is probably not going to work.  Perhaps the sgi guys can chime
in if I'm off base.

-Eric

Isn't there a rhel4 patch floating around someplace? :-)

[root@asher RPMS]# modinfo xfs
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.9-42.ELsmp/kernel/fs/xfs/xfs.ko
license:        GPL
block/inode numbers, no debug enabled
author:         Silicon Graphics, Inc.
depends:
vermagic:       2.6.9-42.ELsmp SMP gcc-3.4

When I run a simple app which tries to init dmapi for XFS it fails with
ENOSYS.
Did I miss anything here? How do I enable DMAPI on this XFS module?

Thanks,
Manoj

[[HTML alternate version deleted]]