Re: Creation time in XFS

To: Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Creation time in XFS
From: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:55:11 +1000
Cc: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Andi Kleen wrote:
Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx> writes:

No XFS does not support creation time. It just has the regular
atime,mtime and ctime.
There are no plans that I've heard to support it.
Not much involved to support it AFAICT but it would either involve
changing the ondisk format of the inode or storing it in an EA.

If you ever change the on disk format adding a file type similar to ext3
to directories could also greatly speed up find in many cases.

Sounds a good idea.
In that case a new ondisk directory format (at v2 at the moment).
I think Dave (dgc) might have been mentioning something about that
recently.

--Tim