2.6.24-rc2 XFS nfsd hang --- filldir change responsible?

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx>
Subject: 2.6.24-rc2 XFS nfsd hang --- filldir change responsible?
From: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 03:49:07 -0800
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Benny Halevy <bhalevy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Christian Kujau <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 11:04:00PM -0800, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> With 2.6.24-rc2 (amd64) I sometimes (usually but perhaps not always)
> see a hang when accessing some NFS exported XFS filesystems.  Local
> access to these filesystems ahead of time works without problems.
>
> This does not occur with 2.6.23.1.  The filesystem does not appear
> to be corrupt.

After some bisection pain (sg broken in the middle and XFS not
compiling in other places) the regression seems to be:

    commit 051e7cd44ab8f0f7c2958371485b4a1ff64a8d1b
    Author: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Date:   Tue Aug 28 13:58:24 2007 +1000

        [XFS] use filldir internally

There have been a lot of changes since this so reverting it and
retesting as-is won't work. I'll have to see what I can come up with
after some sleep.

I'm not building/testing with dmapi --- perhaps that makes a
difference here?  I would think it would have broken with xfsqa but
the number of bug reports seems small so far.