Re: Installing grub onto a system with XFS root fs

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Installing grub onto a system with XFS root fs
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:28:51 +0100
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Jason,

Am Montag 17 Dezember 2007 schrieb Jason White:
> I am trying to install Grub onto a system with a single XFS partition
> serving as both / and /boot.

> Architecture: x86_64
>
> When I run grub-install I get:
> Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
> Due to a bug in xfs_freeze, the following command might produce a
> segmentation fault when /boot/grub is not in an XFS filesystem. This
> error is harmless and can be ignored.
>
> At this point the install script hangs and the only way to recover is
> to reboot the machine (with a hard reset). Needless to say, Grub isn't
> installed.
>
> Any suggestions?

Using grub shell manually always worked for me:

- grub
- find /boot/grub/menu.lst
- root <result from above command>
- setup <place to install too> for example (hd0,0) for first harddisks MBR

Remember to copy over the contents of /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc to /boot
before you do a manual installation.

Ciao,