Re: [REVIEW 0/2] Case insensitive support for XFS

To: "Martin Steigerwald" <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [REVIEW 0/2] Case insensitive support for XFS
From: "Barry Naujok" <bnaujok@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:52:19 +1100
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 05:05:04 +1100, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Barry!

Am Freitag 18 Januar 2008 schrieb Barry Naujok:

There are two mount options for enabling case-insensitivity
on a Unicode XFS filesystem:
   - "ci" - enables case-insensitivity for file names
   - "ciattr" - enables case-insensitivity for extended
                attributes.

How do I know that I am on an Unicode XFS filesystem. Could I see this
with xfs_db -r -c 'sb 0' -c p <device>? Hmm, nothing unicode related in
there as far as I can see. The fs was created with 2.6.23, mkfs.xfs 2.9.4
and the mkfs options that David suggested.

Good point, xfs_info should report this info.

Do I need to backup / mkfs / restore to switch to one? I understand that I
can switch between enable / disable case-insensitivity via a mount
option. Would I be able to enable unicode via xfs_db version command or
something like it?

Just curious.

Strictly speaking you do need to do backup/mkfs/restore to get utf8.
But, with xfs_db hackery and xfs_repair, you can actually switch between
them without mkfsing (I never said that ;) )

Once your filesystem is unicode, ci is a mount option that can be turned
on/off.

Barry.