Re: serious problem with XFS on nvidia IDE controller

To: Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: serious problem with XFS on nvidia IDE controller
From: Massimiliano Adamo <maxadamo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:57:47 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Il giorno ven, 21/03/2008 alle 17.55 -0700, Chris Wedgwood ha scritto:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:21:05AM +0100, Massimiliano Adamo wrote:
>
> > let's say the problem is: "ubuntu people" are neither hacker or
> > guru, and majority of people just use the default filesystem.
>
> they have a bug tracker and kernel people, i'm sure if you have
> module problems there is someone who can look into it

I have found this:
It's not completely true in my case (as I have /dev/sdxx), but it says
that this driver is not  there anymore.

The reason for removing that driver could be this one:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/191007

Anyway, I wouldn't mind about the reason, and the point is that I should
recompile the kernel.
And no way, I am not using ubuntu to waste time recompiling kernels :)

> > Agree, but why no problems like this with reiser?
>
> xfs don't journal data, by design, that might be what you are seeing,
> or something else, it's not clear without more information

Now for me it's difficult to reproduce this bug, as the installation
with XFS was completetely unsable (i was able to boot no more then
two/three times). At least I should create a new partition with xfs and
run tests over it.

--
cheers
Massimiliano