Re: [REVIEW] cleanup - remove bhv_vname_t

To: Barry Naujok <bnaujok@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [REVIEW] cleanup - remove bhv_vname_t
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 03:41:06 -0400
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs-dev <xfs-dev@xxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 04:50:26PM +1000, Barry Naujok wrote:
>>> +static inline struct xfs_name *
>>> +xfs_dentry_name(
>>> +   struct xfs_name *namep,
>>> +   struct dentry   *dentry)
>>> +{
>>> +   namep->name = dentry->d_name.name;
>>> +   namep->len = dentry->d_name.len;
>>> +   return namep;
>>> +}
>>
>> As mentioned in my comment to the CI series:  shouldn't you just use
>> a struct qstr instead of adding a new struct xfs_name?
>
> Keeping a clean line between fs/xfs and fs/xfs/linux-2.6.

But this means more stack useage and more copies in every namespace
related operation.  I don'y yhink it's a good tradeoff.

If you really care about a clear separatation add a #define or typedef
for xfs_name to struct qstr.

>> Also please don't add inline for this.
>>> +xfs_name_t xfs_name_dotdot = {"..", 2};
>>
>> const?
>
> I should change all calls using xfs_name to use const xfs_name?

I just mean this global variable should be declared const.  Then
again all the xfs_name arguments are immutable, so it might be worth
marking them const.