Re: Problems with xfs_grow on large LVM + XFS filesystem 20TB size check

To: Lance Reed <lreed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problems with xfs_grow on large LVM + XFS filesystem 20TB size check 2 failed
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:34:29 -0500
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lance Reed wrote:
> I recently experienced a problem trying to expand an existing LVM + XFS
> installation.
> The core problem was that xfs_growfs did not correctly resize the XFS
> filesystem while trying to expand from 11 TB to about 21 TB.
>
> The previous setup had 5 x 2.18 TB LUNs using LVM2 for a total of just under
> 11 TB.
> This is a 64bit Linux system.
> Linux nfs3 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5 #1 SMP Mon Oct 22 08:32:28 EDT 2007 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> CentOS release 5 (Final)
>
> XFS versions:
> xfsprogs-2.9.4-1.el5.centos
> xfsdump-2.2.46-1.el5.centos
> kmod-xfs-0.4-1.2.6.18_8.1.15.el5

> Thanks in advance for any help....

You probably hit:

TAKE 959978 - growing an XFS filesystem by more than 2TB is broken

which unfortunately probably was never backported to the centos5 xfs
module.  Hmm maybe I should do that.  :(

Dave, do you remember what the fs looked like after hitting that bug?

You may want to read through the "Repairing a possibly incomplete
xfs_growfs command?" thread from earlier, on this list...

I assume you need to try to recover this fs...?  If so I'd not try
shrinking or doing anything else to the fs until there's a chance to see
what shape it's in at this point.

-Eric