Re: Filestreams (and 64bit inodes)

To: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Filestreams (and 64bit inodes)
From: Richard Scobie <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:09:12 +1200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: xfs-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Timothy Shimmin wrote:

BTW, Sam Vaughan wrote some tutorial notes on the allocator and in particular
filestreams which I've pasted below:
(I thought it might be here:
 http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/training/ but I can't see it
 in the allocator lab and slides).

I did actually find an entry for filestreams in slide 6.

While there I also found the information on 64bit inodes.

My filesystem is 9.6TB and could well end up with a large quantity of 1-15MB files stored and the statement:

"Operating system interfaces and legacy software products often mandate the use of 32 bit inode numbers even on systems that support 64 bit inode numbers."

makes me wonder how common this still is in practice - the slide was written in 2006)?

My initial preference would be to go with 64 bit inodes for performance reasons, but as one cannot revert the fs back to 32 bit inodes once committed, I am somewhat hesitant.

Or am I worrying unecessarily about the negative impact of 32 bit inodes, given 9.6TB full of 1 to 15MB files?

Regards,

Richard